Elderton was the name given to a vineyard that was first planted on the banks of the North Para River in Nuriootpa in 1894 by early German settlers, the Scholz family. In 1916, it was purchased by Samuel Elderton Tolley who built himself a sprawling homestead on the Estate and sold the fruit to his family’s winery. It was run successfully for many years, but became derelict in the early years of the vine pull (circa 1975).
Elderton began producing wines from the estate in 1982. After a decade of hard work, Elderton shot to prominence when their Cabernet won the prestigious Jimmy Watson Trophy at the Melbourne Wine Show in 1993. The winery further established itself as one of the best producers in Australia with their flagship Command Shiraz which derives from a single century-old vineyard. This highly regarded icon wine was chosen by Robert Parker as one of the World’s Top 80 Wines as well as gaining rave reviews from countless other international wine critics.
Elderton is very proud custodians of the family Estate located in Nuriootpa, as well as a leader within the Australian wine industry with regard to environmental sustainability. They have proactively implemented a number of initiatives in the day to day operations of the winery, in order to minimise their environmental footprint and promote a sustainable, clean and environmentally responsible work place.